1 Press and Pix
2 Silks painting
3 People painting
4.2 Bob and Adam Coglianese
4.3 Photomural (Interactive Image with Links)
4.4 Text listing of photos by number, with Links
AcknowledgementsMany thanks to Adam Coglianese for providing photos, stories, and general help with the raw material for the photomural. Many thanks to Nancy Sirkis for invaluable instruction on digital manipulation of photos. Thanks to Denise Ziatyk of Z Squared Design, Inc. for advice.
Bob and Adam CoglianesePhotographs provided by Bob and Adam Coglianese, NYRA’s official track photographers.
Bob was photographing at the race tracks in New York after WWII, encouraged by an uncle who was track photographer before the War. They set up an official office on track in 1962, shooting only black and white print film. In 1972 Bob became NYRA’s only official photographer, and began shooting color film. In 1984 a color film developing lab was set up at the Aqueduct office. Bob has won two Eclipse Awards, one for the “Savage” photo (#86), and one for a scene of a horse seemingly racing a bird. Adam Coglianese works the three New York tracks, while Bob now goes to Gulfstream for the winter and photographs in New York at the Belmont and Saratoga meets.
Adam, trained by his father, started shooting photos at the track when he was 18. In 2002, the Coglianese operation switched to all digital and the color developing lab was disbanded. He has won the Eclipse Award Honorable Mention. Adam, his father, and his assistants shoot every race run at the three NYRA tracks, and make available win photos to interested owners, jockeys, trainers, and fans.
Photomural (Interactive Image with Links)Click here for Super Sized Version of Interactive Photomural
Text listing of photos by number, with LinksSaratoga.
2) The Clubhouse Gate fountain, Saratoga, surrounded by lawn jockeys wearing the silks for Grade 1 Stakes winners of the previous season. Saratoga enjoys its historical traditions. The Saratoga Springs History Museum maintains a collection of thousands of old photos (see article).
3) Turning for home in the mud, Saratoga. “Mudders,” horses who love racing in the slop, are the subject of a well-known clip from the television show “Seinfeld.”
4) Sermon of Love winning the 2010 New York Turf Writers Cup Steeplechase Handicap, Saratoga, Brian Crowley up. The National Steeplechase Association covers recent events, and all matters pertaining to steeplechase.
5) Saratoga luxury suites. Track patrons who own horses are required to register their horse’s pedigree, name, and silks with the Jockey Club.
6) Awesome Feather winning the 2011 Gazelle Stakes, Aqueduct, Jeffrey Sanchez up. (race video)
7) The apron at Saratoga. The building structures at the Saratoga racetrack are showcased in their historical context in Paul Roberts’ book: The Spa - Saratoga's Legendary Race Course.
8) Lure winning the 1994 Bernard Baruch Handicap, Saratoga, Mike Smith up.
9) Bellacourt (second from right) winning the 2011 Joseph A. Gimma Stakes, Belmont, Corey Nakatani up. (race video)
10) It’s Tricky winning the 2011 TVG Acorn Stakes, Belmont, Eddie Castro up. (race video)
11) Morning training at the Belmont training track, Fall 2011: Stay Thirsty and Winter Memories. Mike Repole, owner of Stay Thirsty and Uncle Mo, talks about life revolving around his horses (article).
12) Rags to Riches in the winner’s circle for the 2007 Belmont Stakes, John Velazquez up (race video). Here are all the winning stretch runs in 2007 by the incomparable thoroughbred filly Rags to Riches.
13) Band adds to the carnival atmosphere at Saratoga. Reggie's Red Hot Feetwarmers has been the house band at the famed Saratoga Springs Race Track for over 20 years (videos: dancers, and “Saratoga”).
14) Rounding the clubhouse turn, Mellon Turf Course, Saratoga. Paul Mellon, for whom the turf course is named, loved horses passionately (video).
15) Going into the clubhouse turn, Inner Turf Course, Saratoga. For the feel of riding a turn in a turf race, watch this video from a jockey helmet cam.
16) The gates open at Belmont Park, which celebrated its 100 year anniversary in 2008 (video).
17) Calvin Borel celebrates the first filly, Rachel Alexandra, winning the Woodward in 2009, Saratoga. (race video)
18) Rider up at Saratoga paddock. NYRA maintains its own online catalog of photo moments at the three tracks.
19) Ruffian’s grave in the infield at Belmont Park. Videos: A moving 3 part tribute to the Triple Tiara winner, "Remembering Ruffian" Part 1: Perfection, Part 2: The Match Race, Part 3: The Legend Remembered.
20) Proviso wins the 2010 Diana Stakes, Saratoga, Mike Smith up, in a five horse blanket finish. (race video)
21) Easy Goer winning the 1989 Belmont Stakes, Pat Day up. (race video)
22) Jockeys walking towards the tunnel at Belmont Park.
23) Riding for the finish, Saratoga. NYRA maintains a continually updated collection of race videos, interviews, and other clips (NYRA YouTube channel).
24) Personal Ensign after winning the 1988 Whitney Handicap, Saratoga, Randy Romero up (Randy Romero’s Facebook page). (race video)
25) Go For Wand wins a Grade 1 at Belmont Park. Go For Wand died tragically in the 1990 Breeders’ Cup Distaff (video !WARNING! contains graphic footage), and is buried in the infield in Saratoga (see Barbara Livingston’s photo).
#1-25 #26-50 #51-75 #76-100 #101-125 Photomural image26) View from the box area at Saratoga. The Saratoga Springs Preservation Foundation is committed to supporting the preservation of the Saratoga Racetrack’s historic structures, including the grandstand.
27) John’s Call leading the post parade for the race named in his honor, Saratoga. John’s Call had an unusually long career as a racehorse (read obituary).
28) First time by at Aqueduct.
29) Forever Together wins her second Diana, 2009, Julien Leparoux up. (race video)
30) My Miss Aurelia wins the 2011 Adirondack Stakes, Saratoga, Julien Leparoux up. (race video)
31) The post parade at Belmont Park. Belmont has hosted many thousands of races, including this unusual race in 1918 between a car and a plane (video).
32) Sea Biscuit. A heroic horse who raced at the time of the Great Depression, Sea Biscuit met War Admiral in a match race at Pimlico in 1938 (video).
33) Kent Desormeaux kisses the Travers Cup after winning the 2009 Travers Stakes, Saratoga, aboard Summer Bird. (race video)
34) John Velazquez takes the Sanford Stakes with Overdriven (NYRA article predating race) in Saratoga, 2011. (race video)
35) Alydar exits the paddock prior to the 1978 Travers, Jorge Velasquez up. (race video)
36) Blame takes the 2010 Whitney, Saratoga, Garrett Gomez up. (race video)
37) Hot Summer wins the 2011 Victory Ride Stakes, Saratoga, Cornelio Velasquez up. (race video)
38) The famed roofline at Saratoga. Saratoga has been celebrated as one of the most beautiful racetracks in the world for 150 years (read a 1907 article).
39) Bold Ruler (sire of Secretariat) winning the Toboggan, 1958, Belmont, Eddie Arcaro up. (race video: Bold Ruler in 1957 Preakness Stakes, no audio)
40) The Travers Canoe, freshly painted in the silks of Travers winner Flower Alley, Saratoga 2005. (race video)
41) Genuine Risk (horse on right) wins the 1980 Ruffian Handicap, Jacinto Vasquez up. (race video)
42) The field assembles in the paddock at Aqueduct. Aqueduct underwent a major expansion to become a racino gambling destination in 2012 (video: introduction of the plans, Part I).
43) First time by at Aqueduct. Read a short history of the three NYRA tracks.
44) Affirmed coming onto the track prior to winning the 1978 Belmont Stakes, thus completing the 1978 Triple Crown, Steve Cauthen up. (race video)
45) Ruffian after winning the 1975 Acorn at Aqueduct, Jacinto Vasquez up. (race video)
46) Eventual winner Rutherienne swings to the outside en route to victory at Belmont. Rutherienne won the 2009 Noble Damsel at Belmont (article).
47) John Velazquez has his hands full early at Saratoga.
48) A view from the inside rail at Belmont Park. Belmont’s most famous race is the Belmont Stakes.
49) Parading gets his picture taken at Belmont Park in 2008, Johnny Velazquez up.
50) Dark Mirage wins the 1968 Prioress Stakes, Aqueduct, Angel Cordero, Jr. up. (race video: 1968 Triple Tiara, 1st Filly Triple Crown winner)
#1-25 #26-50 #51-75 #76-100 #101-125 Photomural image51) The famed triple dead heat in the 1944 Carter Handicap.
52) The Equestris Dining Room at Aqueduct, third floor. While track patrons dine at the Equestris, track athletes also are treated to luxury (video: fine fare for horses).
53) Linda Rice celebrates her 1000th career victory at Belmont, 2011, with Sextant, Cornelio Velasquez up.
54) Rachel Alexandra and Calvin Borel team up to win the 2009 Woodward Stakes, Saratoga. (race video)
55) The Belmont Stakes trophy awaits presentation to the next winner.
56) Curlin takes the 2008 Woodward, Robby Albarado up. (race video)
57) Thunder Rumble winning the 1992 Travers Stakes, Herb McCauley up. Thunder Rumble retired to Old Friends at Cabin Creek, a retirement home for thoroughbreds, located in Greenfield Center, NY.
58) Colonial Affair takes the 1993 Belmont Stakes, making Julie Krone the first female jockey to win an American Classic. (race video)
59) Secretariat dominates the Belmont Stakes by 31 lengths in record time to sweep the Triple Crown, 1973 (race video). Secretariat’s jockey was Ron Turcotte.
60) Over the hedges: steeplechase at Saratoga.
61) Havre de Grace following her win in the 2011 Woodward, Saratoga, Ramon Dominguez up. (race video)
62) Calvin Borel sponges off Travers victor Street Sense, 2007. (race video)
63) Colonel John following his 2008 Travers victory, Garrett Gomez up. (race video)
64) The crowd enjoying a sunny summer day at Saratoga. Many organizations cater informational services to fans including the NTRA and NYRA’s Twitter feed.
65) Better Talk Now and Ramon Dominguez after their victory in the 2007 Manhattan Handicap at Belmont Park. (race video)
66) Seattle Slew draped in carnations following his Belmont and Triple Crown victories, 1977, Jean Cruguet up. (videos: all 1977 Triple Crown races: 1977 Kentucky Derby, 1977 Preakness Stakes, 1977 Belmont Stakes).
67) Run the Gantlet in the winners circle at Belmont Park, Robert Woodhouse up.
68) Summing, after winning the 1981 Belmont Stakes, George Martens up. (race video)
69) Secretariat is led by owner Penny Chenery into the winner‘s circle following his victory in the 1973 Man O’ War, Ron Turcotte up. (race video)
70) George and Lori Hall hoist the Belmont Stakes trophy following Ruler On Ice’s 2011 win. (race video)
71) The start at Belmont. Jockey Angel Cordero, Jr. rode many races at Belmont. He looks back in a fascinating review of his race aboard Seattle Slew in the 1978 Jockey Club Gold Cup (video).
72) Ramon Dominguez celebrates his sixth winner of the day at Belmont Park aboard Hessonite, June 5, 2011. (race video: Hessonite wins the 2011 Ticonderoga Stakes)
73) The Saratoga backstretch. Shug McGaughey has been training horses at NYRA tracks for decades (video).
74) Horses run by the infield sprinkler at Saratoga. One of Saratoga’s most illustrious and passionate horse owners is Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum (video profile).
75) Drive for the finish at Belmont Park. The Belmont Stakes is the third leg of the Triple Crown, a series of three races last captured by Affirmed in 1978. Real Quiet came within a nose of winning the Belmont and the Triple Crown in 1998, but failed in an absolute thriller (video).
#1-25 #26-50 #51-75 #76-100 #101-125 Photomural image76) Jose Santos signs an autograph at Saratoga.
77) NY Bred Kentucky Derby winner Funny Cide, out for a morning breeze. (race video: 2003 Kentucky Derby)
78) Rail birds at Saratoga. Sam the Bugler plays in the winner's circle a little farther down the rail (video).
79) John Henry takes the 1984 Turf Classic, Belmont Park, Chris McCarron up. (race video)
80) Animal Kingdom gets a bath at Belmont Park.
81) Affirmed out for morning training, Saratoga, 1978.
82) Patrons enjoy a meal at Saratoga. Saratoga’s history and personalities have been profiled by many authors, including Bill Heller in his book Saratoga Tales.
83) The picnic area and TV race broadcasts at Saratoga. Fans can follow the races on Facebook.
84) Ginger Punch wins the 2007 Go For Wand, Saratoga, Rafael Bejarano up. (race video)
85) Steeplechase horse takes a fence, Saratoga. Journalist Teresa Genaro publishes a blog covering the Saratoga meet (discusses Paul Roberts, architect of NYRA’s capital improvements).
86) The “Savage”: Great Prospector, Jorge Velasquez up, savaging Golden Derby, Darrel McHargue up, in the 1980 Tremont Stakes, Belmont Park (Eclipse Award winning photo by Bob Coglianese).
87) Corey Nakatani celebrates his sixth win of the day at Belmont Park, on My Miss Aurelia in the 2011 Frizette Stakes, October 8, 2011. (race video)
88) Rajiv Maragh celebrates after taking the 2011 King’s Bishop Stakes aboard Caleb’s Posse, Saratoga. (race video)
89) The connections of 2007 Belmont Stakes winner filly Rags to Riches, holding the trophy. Rags to Riches was trained by Todd Pletcher.
90) The backyard area at beautiful Belmont Park. Belmont is the subject of many photo collections.
91) Fans pack the rail near the far turn at Saratoga. Horse trainer D. Wayne Lukas has been a fixture at Saratoga for decades. He discusses leadership and motivation in this video.
92) Genuine Risk exits the paddock prior to the 1980 Belmont Stakes. (race video)
93) Javier Castellano celebrates winning the 2010 Travers Stakes aboard Afleet Express. (race video)
94) The starting gate at Saratoga. The uniformed starters, who herd the horses into the gate and release them to race, have one of the most dangerous jobs in racing (see article).
95) Penny Chenery accepts the trophy in 1972 following Secretariat’s victory in the Futurity Stakes, Belmont.
96) Backstretch tour tram at Saratoga. These tours are given daily for free during racing season.
97) Racing in the snow, Aqueduct. Winter racing continues through all but the most severe winter weather at Aqueduct racetrack (see article).
98) Colonel John heads into the winner’s circle following his victory in the 2008 Travers. (race video)
99) Avelino Gomez jumps off Bupers in the winner’s circle, Aqueduct. Avelino was a top Canadian jockey in the mid 1900’s (video).
100) The picnic area, Saratoga. The picnic area surrounds the Saratoga paddock, which is celebrated by many fans’ photos.
#1-25 #26-50 #51-75 #76-100 #101-125 Photomural image101) Belmont start. Roy Williamson is NYRA’s head starter working the gate (read article).
102) Marylou Whitney presents the Whitney Trophy to Tracy Farmer following Commentator’s victory, 2008. Commentator was trained by Nick Zito.
103) Sea Hero stands guard in the Saratoga paddock. Sea Hero won the 1993 Travers (race video), trained by Mack Miller.
104) Sunday Silence walking out of the paddock prior to a failed bid for the 1989 Triple Crown (race videos: 1989 Kentucky Derby and 1989 Preakness Stakes), Pat Valenzuela up. Also, Pat's personal favorite ride aboard Arazi in the 1991 Breeders' Cup Juvenile, and the 1980 Sports Illustrated article "Who's New Socks It To A Who's Who" on his breakout year.
105) Fourstardave, the Sultan of Saratoga, winning in one of his many victories at Saratoga.
106) Winter Memories takes in the crowd’s appreciation of her performance in the 2011 Garden City, Belmont Park, Javier Castellano up. (race video)
107) The crowd at Belmont gathers to watch a race. Belmont has attracted crowds as much as 82,694 people in recent history (see article).
108) Pointing the way in Saratoga. The racetrack has its own language.
109) Secretariat in the infield before losing to Onion in the 1973 Whitney, thus demonstrating Saratoga’s nickname “The Graveyard of Heroes.” (race video)
110) The turn for home, Saratoga. The city of Saratoga welcomes track patrons, who enjoy the many amenities.
111) Delosvientos wins in the snow at Aqueduct. Even without adverse weather conditions, jockeys suffer injuries routinely as part of their job.
112) Looking down from the roof, Belmont (photo taken from atop the grandstand). An even higher view, from a plane landing at nearby JFK airport, shows the relative locations of Belmont and Aqueduct in the Queens landscape.
113) The clubhouse turn, Saratoga. Saratoga is host to many Graded Stakes races.
114) Celebrity Chef Bobby Flay escorts his Grade 1 winner, Her Smile, down victory lane following the Prioress at Belmont Park, 2011, Javier Castellano up.
115) Sampling the local flavor of the Big Red Spring, at Saratoga Racecourse.
116) Forego wins the second of four consecutive Woodward Stakes in 1975, Heliodoro Gustines up. (race video: Forego's Amazing Four Consecutive Woodwards, 1974-1977)
117) Citation trains at Belmont.
118) Around the bend at Saratoga. All Thoroughbred racehorses can trace their lineage to three stallions imported into England in the 17th and 18th centuries.
119) Sean Avery wins the 2011 Alfred. G. Vanderbilt Handicap at Saratoga, Joe Bravo up. (race video)
120) The old Saddling Shed at Saratoga. Many of the original buildings at the Saratoga racecourse survive and are in use today, while other tracks such as Jamaica Racecourse were torn down (see article: Opening day at Jamaica in 1903).
121) Key to the Mint in the winner’s circle at Saratoga. (race video: 1972 Travers Stakes)
122) Barbaro, with NY regular Edgar Prado in the irons, takes the 2006 Kentucky Derby. (race video: Kentucky Derby 132)
123) Secretariat emerges onto the track at the 1973 Belmont. The Big Red colt, Secretariat, ran his last race in Canada in October of 1973 (video, Part 1 of 2).
124) Camera under the rail at Saratoga. As well as still photos capturing track action, NYRA makes available many videos.
125) Drive for the finish at Saratoga. Many races finish in a “photo” where the winner is determined by close review of the electronic record (video: an unusual six-way photo finish).